Social Media Promoting
To begin our project we needed to research 5 social media platforms for the advertising of an indie game. We needed to check the amount of active members of each website and the pro’s and con’s of each platform.
Facebook is the biggest social media platform which is used for businesses and personal use. A lot of developers and publishers use Facebook but not as much as other platforms such as twitter. Most game companies would be active on Facebook but it doesn’t represent their overall popularity.
- Facebook has over 1.86 billion monthly active Users worldwide. This is an 17% increase year over year.
- There are 1.15 billion mobile users daily for December 2016. This is an 18% increase year over year.
- In Europe alone there are over 302 million people on Facebook.
- Highest traffic occurs Mid-week between 1 to 3 pm. You can use that to an advantage when posting updates for your game, etc.
- 50% of 18-24 year-olds use Facebook upon waking up.
Twitter is something that is widely used by developers and producers which adds a lot of competition for all indie developers. It’s not the best of platforms for getting your name out there and trying to find a huge audience although it’s good for keeping your fans and audiences up to date quick.
- There are 310 Million monthly active users.
- A total of 1.3 billion accounts have been made.
- 44% of all accounts made have been made and left before sending a Tweet.
- Over 550 Million tweets have been posted.
- 80% of active users use the website via Mobile.
A great feature of Twitter is the hashtag feature, you can use this if you were to release a new game and advertising using a hashtag which would lead to more people seeing it and widens your audience.
YouTube is something used by nearly all game developers and producers for trailers, new features or modes. A company that uses YouTube is a company called Riot Games, although they’re not an indie company they use it show the features and new characters for their game called League of Legends. They do a spotlight on each new character they bring out to give the fans an insight of the abilities. In most posts companies makes on other platforms they usually embed YouTube videos in their posts.
- YouTube has over a billion users which is almost one-third of the entire population on Earth.
- Over 50% of views on YouTube come from mobile devices.
- YouTube supports over 76 different languages which is 95% of the internet population.
- 80% of the views on YouTube come from outside the United States.
Snapchat’s main use is sharing personal pictures and videos but companies can use it to showcase a products release or small clips of advertisements. In order to take advantage of something like this you would need to establish a connection with your fans in order for them to follow you on Snapchat.
- The ads on Snapchat get about 1 million views per day.
- 60% of people who own a smartphone use Snapchat.
- 70% of the users on Snapchat are female.
- 60% of the users on Snapchat are between 18 and 34.
Advertising on Snapchat proves promising with an average of 1 million views a day.
Reddit has a reputation for being “The front page of the internet”. It has a lot of Sub-communities called subreddits, each one being dedicated to a certain topic, brand or game. If you were to create one for your game to be able to share information about your game and people in your subreddit will be able to give opinions and feedback. A lot of new games start in reddit to get some attention towards their game.
- Reddit gets an average of 8 billion pages-views monthly.
- There are over 850,000 subreddits.
- An average visit length of 13 minutes.
- Reddit has over 234 Million unique users.
Zephoria. (2017). The Top 20 Valuable Facebook Statistics. [online] Available at: https://zephoria.com/top-15-valuable-facebook-statistics/ [Accessed Jan 2017]
Kit Smith. (2016). 44 Twitter Statistics for 2016. [Online] Available at: https://www.brandwatch.com/blog/44-twitter-stats-2016/ [Accessed Jan 2017]
YouTube. (2016). Statistics. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/yt/press/statistics.html [Accessed Jan 2017]
Smith C. (2016). 60 Amazing Reddit Statistics. [online] Available at: http://expandedramblings.com/index.php/reddit-stats/ [Accessed Jan 2017]
Mediakix. (2016). The Snapchat statistics every marketer needs to know. [Online] Available at: http://mediakix.com/2016/01/snapchat-statistics-2016-marketers-need-to-know/#gs.zZcvedg [Accessed Jan 2017]
For our indie 2d side-scroller game we was given a random character and location/ time zone. My group received Marie Curie in WW1 which was lucky since Marie Curie was alive during the World War 1 Era.
Ideas we came up with were starting off by a broken ambulance then you would proceed to try and deliver x-ray equipment to the front line and collecting radioactive materials whilst travelling through. Collecting more materials would enlarge your final score. After collecting a certain amount of materials you will reach milestones in which a quote will appear on your screen and when its displayed then disappear’s Marie Curie will be weaker and more weak from the radiation you collected which will then lead to you moving slower and your jumps will be lower and this will continue until the end.
What is pixel art?
Starting at Space Invaders going all the way to Super Mario to even the original Pokemon games, pixel art is something we all know and have experienced before. Pixel art is an art style that is mostly done digitally and was typically used in a 8-bit and 16-bit games and consoles. What makes pixel art unique is that you are able to see each individual pixel like the original Super Mario you are able to see each individual pixel.The term for characters if you’re using pixel art is called Sprites and they characters such as the first Mario which you can see here or the first Link to appear.
Harry Potter task
Our next task was to make the character Harry Potter using a 16×16 art size.
One of the first things we had to do was to open Photoshop then go to Edit-preferences-general then go to the unit section and change them to pixels. You then need to go to the guide section and change it to 1 space, having the grid is sometimes better when creating our sprite.Using the image on the left i then started to make a silhouette of my sprite.This is the result of my silhouette which means i was ready to start adding colour.
This is my final result of my sprite.
Did i struggle with this task? No I really enjoyed doing this and it was a fun learning experience and i would defiantly do it again.
This week was a great experience, as I learned so much and a great introduction to pixel art.